Absolutely. You cannot “memorialize” something that never happened. Communists never killed 100 million people. That number was based upon a work of propaganda disguised as serious work, called “The Black Book of Communism.” There were multiple authors to the book. After release, the book was widely criticized by serious scholars. Even the fellow co-authors of the work admitted that the “100 million” number was untrue.
Second, the purpose of the statue is also to demonize China, which is totally unwarranted. Further, the Tianneman Square incident was not a wholesale mass slaughter of innocents. Rather, actual protesters dispersed after the police told them to clear the area. It wasn’t long after that violent thugs began to set fires, attack police, and try to induce mayhem. The police dealt with them appropriately.
As for the USSR “death toll,” it is far less than 100 million:
2.76 million. This list is here, with sources: death toll 2.pdf
This is the death toll of the actions of the USSR.
- The Holomodor was not intentional and should not be counted. Alexander Finnegan’s answer to What is the history of famines and starvation in Russia 1850-present day?
- All the other numbers you are used to hearing have been shown to be inflated and exaggerated, many fabricated.
- This document is based on reliable research from respected authors and official figures.
- The Black Book of Communism has been shown to be a fraud. Alexander Finnegan’s answer to What is the most biased book you’ve ever read?
- This includes the Great Purges, the NKVD Polish repressions, the transfer of various populations that resulted in death, the gulags, etc. Alexander Finnegan’s answer to Why did Stalin kill the kulaks?
- Gulag numbers are here: number of gulag.pdf 1,053,829 died in the gulag. But it must also be remembered that this includes people who died from natural causes. The death toll went up during WWII because everyone in the nation was on food rations so there was no starvation, but sick people and older people sometimes succumbed out of the stress. There were also outbreaks of diseases that caused deaths. Solzehnitsyn Lied pdf.pdf,
- The Great Purges included 777, 975. But this includes a large number that were sentenced to execution but it was never carried out. The Great Purges were not as top down as one might guess.
- Alexander Finnegan’s answer to Was Joseph Stalin a successful leader or an oppressive dictator?
As for Chinese communism:
…Mao’s policies as a whole greatly extended Chinese life expectancy.
Both before and after the Three Bad Years, it was much lower than similar poor countries. During the crisis it was about average, peaking at 25 per thousand.
25 per thousand was normal for poor countries in the 1960s, and lower than some.
The estimates ‘cook the book’, not giving the full picture.
The supposed terror of Mao’s rule is total propaganda. In fact the supposed “famine” that he caused turned out to be a period of hunger, and the numbers extolling his supposed 45 million killed are unsubstantiated lies. Most of it comes from bitter members of the CCP who found themselves purged for embracing capitalism and had to do some service work in the country to learn the value of not being antisocial. Mao did not execute his political enemies. He believed in rehabilitation and service work. That is why President Xi’s father and Deng Xiaoping himself were not killed and Deng would eventually become the leader of China.
The only landlords that got hurt were the ones who took up arms and violently resisted the land reforms. Landlords that caused deaths or had collaborated with the Japanese invaders would face a trial and if found guilty could be executed.
This man has just been given land as part of the land redistribution.
Land was given to peasants, who previously were essentially serfs
On collectives food was more abundant than before
Massive irrigation projects improved the land
Fantastic series of photos of everyday life in Maoist China: Everyday Life in Maoist China
When the land reforms were announced Mao anticipated there would be resistance from the landlord class, as any privileged class is unlikely to just happily give up their riches for the well being of others. But landlords had the option to abide by the law and be fine. Estimating resistance is not a death sentence. In fact landlords that complied were given land to till and welcomed into the community. They were not exterminated.
Source: The Land Reform — china.org.cn
Land is redistributed more equitably
I double checked the Wikipedia account of Mao’s land reform measures, and the citations refer to rabid anti-communist books that are filled with lies. I shouldn’t be surprised. The story of Mao in the West is filled with outright lies.
You rarely hear it but the reality was that even though slavery was officially abolished, the practice continued before Mao stopped it. The Dalai Lama had slaves up until 1959. But for Mao this would continue.
The Mao as mass murderer lies began, interestingly, 20 years after his death with cooked numbers. But in the West these lies are entrenched.
Monthly Review | On the Role of Mao Zedong Exploring the lies about Maocum monster
Footnotes http:// Ghodsee, Kristen (2014). “A tale of” Two Totalitarianisms”: The crisis of capitalism and the historical memory of communism” (PDF). History of the Present. 4 (2): 115–142. doi:10.5406/historypresent.4.2.0115. JSTOR 10.5406/historypresent.4.2.0115 http://Chemin, Ariane (1997-10-30). “Les divisions d’une équipe d’historiens du communisme [Divisions among the team of historians of Communism]”. Le Monde.fr (in French). ISSN 1950-6244 Tiananmen Square, 1989 — Revisited Tiananmen Square, 1989 — Revisited